The New Mexico Museum of Art (formerly the Museum of Fine Arts) is one of four museums that comprise the Museum of New Mexico. The New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors is located one block to the east. The Museum of International Folk Art and the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture are located on Museum Hill.
Audiences for the museum are just as varied as those who created the art:
- Visitors from around the world visit New Mexico, particularly Santa Fe and its historic plaza, where the Museum of Art is located.
- New Mexicans by residence visit regularly, including school children who come to the museum with classmates, teachers and families.
- Local and visiting artists and patrons of the arts bring a strong knowledge and background in the arts.
- Art scholars visit the state to conduct research on artists and movements that have influence and interest around the world.
The museum seeks to reach all of these audiences through its
The New Mexico Museum of Art began in 1917 as the Art Gallery for the Museum of New Mexico that was then located in the Palace of the Governors. The building helped establish the Pueblo Spanish Revival architectural style.
McNary Pipe Organ
The McNary Pipe Organ was originally installed in the El Paso, TX home of Mr. and Mrs. James McNary. In 1936 the couple sold it to the School of American Research for it to be installed in the St. Francis Auditorium.